[Digikam-users] First run and re-scan

Andrew Goodbody ajg02 at elfringham.co.uk
Wed Jan 25 20:47:08 GMT 2012

On 25/01/12 01:29, Mark Hayes (Hotmail) wrote:
> Every now and again, when I launch the software, Digikam starts all over
> from scratch, re-scans my photos, and seems to set up a new database.
> It's just done it again this week and it's really starting to upset me.
> Each time this happens, I lose my tag structure and all data that was
> only in the database...
>
> Why does this happen, and how can I recover any lost info, if at all?
>
> I'm using Kubuntu 11.10 with the standard repository install.

It would help to actually know what that version of digikam is.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Mark.

I have had this happen to me a couple of times but only when I was
updating digikam. It was very annoying but not the end of the world as I
had the metadata written to the image files. I am more careful about
backing up my databases now as that is the best defence against this
sort of problem. Once it has happened it is probably too late to recover
without backups, sorry.

Andrew