[Digikam-users] DAM, DAM with Digikam. Moving files.

gerlos gerlosgm at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 14:48:04 GMT 2012

Il giorno 25/gen/2012, alle ore 15.01, Mark Hayes (Hotmail) ha scritto:

> In particular - Krogh moves photos about a lot during the process.  I mean, he physically moves through a bunch of folders as part of the process, until they end up in the final filing location, all completed and fully set out with metadata.  For example, he downloads them to a specific folder, renames them, and then moves them to another holding folder for review.  Then in that new folder they are reviewed and rated, metadata attached and then moved out again.

As long as you tell digikam to store metadata in the pictures (but it's jut because I'm paranoid and I use other software too), you won't have any problem with this approach.
Albums on digikam ARE the same of directories on your disk.

> Should I do it only 'inside' Digikam?  Will Digikam automagically update the database info?  What happens if I was to move them in Dolphin?  Does this cause problems and break things?

No, I actually do it all the time, without any problem.
Actually, don't know if it's working fine just because I told it to save metadata directly in images, or it just works out of the box.
I usually download images using dolphin, do a gross selection looking at previews, open digikam (that loads them automagically), tag tag, edit, trash them, and some times I edit them with other tools, like Gimp. As long as those tools preserve metadata in saved files, everything work fine.
It works, and I'm happy with it.

It's a lot better than my Aperture DAM, where I'm always afraid of opening images with something else, because it's a mess managing images in and out of the library (you know, when I dual boot I feel like Dr Jeckyll and Mr Hyde).

regards
gerlos

--
"Fairy tales are more than true, not because they tell us that dragons exist,
but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten."