[Digikam-users] re JPEG lossiness, PNG

Remco Viëtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Fri Jan 20 06:40:15 GMT 2012

On Friday 20 January 2012 07:00:07 Dr. Martin Senftleben wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 14.01.2012 10:54, schrieb Remco Viëtor:
> >> What puzzles me (is this a bug?) is that none of the tags which I
> >> had saved with the raw file have been taken over by any of the
> >> exported formats.
> >
> > I saw that as well, in that Digikam showed tags with the converted
> > image, but tags and description were not stored in the image file
> > itself.
>
> How does this help in keeping metadata that is already stored in the
> original file? Writing metadata to image works only on the metadata
> that is available for that image. If digikam doesn't take over the
> tags or descriptions from the raw file when saving an edited version
> as png or jpg, all the data has to be reentered. That is my main
> problem, particularly with tags, as I add some five to ten tags to
> each file, and having to do this over and over again, is very cumbersome.

OK, then this seems to be a different problem. At least in 2.5.0, tags get
nicely transferred to the converted image (RAW -> PNG)

What settings do you use for the metadata (in Settings->Configure Digikam,
then the 'Metadata' tab, 'Behaviour' section, 'Common metadata actions')?
I have all but the last three options checked there, especially the 'Save
image tags as "Keywords"...'.
The options
'Update file timestamp...',
'Write Metadata to RAW...',
'Read metadata from XMP...'
I've left unchecked (the latter seems to cause the metadata in the raw file to
be ignored),
and 'Metadata Writing Mode' is set to 'Write to XMPsidecar for read-only image
only'

Remco