[Digikam-users] Image lifetime (Was: Re: re JPEG lossiness, PNG)

Remco Viëtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Sun Jan 15 19:17:10 GMT 2012

On Sunday 15 January 2012 19:14:23 Jean-François Rabasse wrote:
> Hi Remco,
>
> And thanks for that accurate post. You definitions are indeed far less
> cloudy as were mine:-)

Thank you :)

> As I'm a GIMP user,
> the natural edition process is to open raw files with GIMP and its UFRAW
> plug-in, and keep editable versions under the GIMP xcf format.
>
> It's probably the worst format regarding file size, but I don't know
> other solution to keep edition stuff such as layers, masks et al.

Neither do I, and yes, it's a disaster in terms of space (but so is TIFF...)

> I have a question (no longer quality issue), for you and other users of
> course, about what could be considered as a "lifetime" for non final
> images files ?
>
> Said otherwise, after what time a no more modified final image should be
> considered as definitive, and intermediate files, raw file, editable
> file, could be discarded to recover storage space ?
> Six months, one year, two years ?

Only my personal take, but for images I keep, I never delete the RAW files.
the edited PNG will also be kept, as it's the basis from which I make the JPGs
that are used for screen/web/printing. The JPGs can be thrown away fairly soon
after use, as they are produced for a specific purpose (another reason not to
use JPG for editable files, btw).

Given what's happening to disk space, I don't feel any need to recover storage
space. But that will depend on the number of images you create per year.

> Or do users keep all, "just in case", and fill CD or DVD for the
> future ? And if yes, how long do people keep CD before rewriting them to
> be sure to save a readable copy, even 10 years later ?

I don't use CDs or DVDs anymore, but removable hard drives.