[Digikam-users] Wishes for future versions

Andrew Goodbody ajg02 at elfringham.co.uk
Sat Jan 14 17:57:51 GMT 2012

On 14/01/12 10:08, Remco Viƫtor wrote:
> There's still a number of things I'd liek to see added, so I decided to drop
> the list here to see if others are interested in those features, and if some
> are already planned (in that case, no need to clutter the bugzilla wishlist).
>
> So, what I'm missing is:
>
> - a 'levels' tool
Yes, possibly although I do not actually edit photos in Digikam (yet).
> - a tool in batch queue to write metadata from the database to the image files
Yes, possibly, but I find it better to always store the metadata in the
files.
> - a way to save and restore a list of batch queue commands
Yes definitely. I think I read that this is in the queue already.
> - a way to save a slideshow (in dvd-slideshow format?)
Yes.
> - possibility to select a point/area in a raw image to determine white balance
Yes. May have been requested already, not sure.

> Please comment :)

The big one that I would like to see is to be able to copy a set of tags
from one image and copy them to one or more other images.
Next I would like the xmp sidecar file support to be knocked into shape.
You should be able to better control where metadata is read from (ie
allow from image and sidecar), merging it if necessary, and where it is
written to. This could need to be different for raw vs. 'developed'
image formats.
There are also sporadic reports of issues with tagging CR2 raw files and
then propagating those tags to the 'developed' files. This is not
something I have tried, but I would like it to work. Not sure if getting
xmp sidecar files working properly would help here.

Andrew