[Digikam-users] Controlled vocabulary

John Stumbles john at stumbles.org.uk
Tue Feb 28 14:24:07 GMT 2012

On 28/02/12 13:53, Jean-François Rabasse wrote:

> Language is very important because we, humans, rebuild meanings from
> whole sentences, not just out of context keywords. I live in France,
> near Paris, and if I document an image with the following sentence
> « Main entrance of the Hilton hotel in Paris », probably any English
> reader will understand that the image is of a building and which one.
> But now if you extract keywords, entrance - hilton - hotel - paris,
> what about a teenager looking for pictures of a well known (and rich)
> american woman Paris Hilton ? Will probably be very disappointed with
> my picture:-)

But if you structure DigiKam's tags thus:

places
	France
		Paris
			Hilton Hotel
				entrance

then spotty teenager looking for

people
	Paris Hilton
		bodily orifices

will not be disappointed ;-)

Question for the DigiKam gurus here:

Say I have a tag heirarchy:

people
	Bloggs
		Joe
		Jane
		Jill
	Smith
		Andy
		Betty
		Joe

If I tag a picture of Joe Bloggs, by default only the 'Joe' tag seems to
get applied to the image. So how do I search for just Joe Bloggs without
getting Joe Smith? Or does DK 'know' which Joe is which?

--
John Stumbles                                    http://stumbles.org.uk