[Digikam-users] Thumbnail creation and updating of thumbnail database, etc.

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Tue Feb 28 13:45:59 GMT 2012

On Tuesday 28 February 2012 21:01:01 Mark Hayes wrote:

> Remco,
>
> Apologies for the delay.
>
> I'm currently using the following:
>
> Kubuntu 11.10
> Linux kubuntu64 3.0.0-16-generic #28-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 27 17:44:39 UTC
> 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> KDE version 4.7.4
> digikam v 2.1.1 (standard stock install from Kubuntu repositories)
>
> I have updated some packages over the last week - but I'm not sure if
> any are related to digikam.  In fact, I couldn't tell you what they
> were.  Do you know how to check for the most recently installed packages
> by date?  I could then list them out for you.
>
> I did suffer a possible power failure over the weekend whilst I was away
> - I don't really know other than I came back to the house on Sunday and
> the PC had rebooted, so something definitely went wrong.  Digikam was
> open at the time of the crash - maybe that corrupted the database?
>
> No new disks installed/used.  No changes to Digikam made as far as I know.

Ok, that helps. A power failure could indeed corrupt things.
http://scribblesandsnaps.wordpress.com/2011/12/19/check-and-optimize-digikams-
databases/ gives you a few commands to check and correct your databases (copy
those databases to a safe place before trying this!).You probably will have to
install a few extra packages, the link I gave tells you which ones.

the first two commands are the important ones here:
- sqlite3 -line digikam4.db 'pragma integrity_check;'
- sqlite3 -line thumbnails-digikam.db 'pragma integrity_check;'

If you get a message 'integrity_check = ok', the problem is elsewhere,
anything else and your database is probably corrupted.

Let's try this first, and see what we get.

> Sorry that I can't supply more information - but if you can let me know
> any commands to run for you - will get right back to you as soon as I can.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mark.

NP :)

But, please remove any non-relevant quoted text, it makes helping you faster
and more pleasant for your readers