[Digikam-users] Import speed, is it really that slow?

Andrew Goodbody ajg02 at elfringham.co.uk
Mon Feb 6 21:54:22 GMT 2012

On 06/02/12 19:39, buedi wrote:
> I  did  some more testing and it seems like the hiccups / freezes have
> something  to do with kioslave.exe. I cannot prove it because I do not
> know if there are any Logfiles. I don´t know if filing a Bug report is
> OK  with the lack of information I have. Maybe someone can point me to
> the  right  direction,  so  I  can  provide  a Developer the necessary
> Information  to  look  at that? It would be a shame if someone puts so
> much  effort into a Windows Version of digiKam and nobody is caring if
> it´s  working or not. I do, because I think it´s a remarkable piece of
> Software.
>
> It also seems like I have no hiccups / freezes when I do not touch the
> Import   function.  If  I  only  work  with  other  digiKam  functions
> (Lighttable,  tagging, searching...) yesterday I had no freeze at all.
> As  soon  as  I  touch  the  Import function it starts to freeze after
> importing  3-5  pictures and the Import process takes ages. Also after
> the Import Process, digiKam freezes again and again until I close it
> properly and open it again.
>
> Yesterday  once the kioslave.exe caused an exception while digiKam was
> freezing  again.  Having  a  look at the Taskmanager revealed around 5
> kioslave.exe  processes. On my XP System when I do the Import it opens
> around  10-14  of  these  processes. Maybe there´s a problem with that
> process  and  not  digiKam  itself.  DigiKam  may  be  waiting for the
> kioslave.exe to be finished maybe?

Back when I ran digikam on Windows, I too had issues that seemed to be
related to kioslave. Unfortunately kioslave is part of KDE 4 Windows and
so it is not clear where the problems really lie, in the KDE 4 Windows
port or in the digikam slave code.

Your best bet may be to simply copy the photos into your album directory
structure without using digikam's import.

In order to get debug output you need DebugView
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896647

and then

"Run kdebugdialog from digiKam install path. It must be an executable
file. It show a dialog with all debug space to display in debugview.
Turn on digiKam, kipi, kdcraw, kexiv2 space, run debugview, and
digiKam..."

By all means file a bug, it should all help in getting attention for
these things, but it may take quite a while.

Andrew