[Digikam-users] Import speed, is it really that slow?

buedi buedi at gmx.net
Sat Feb 4 16:23:32 GMT 2012

Hi everyone,

since  I  got  a  new  Camera I looked around which kind of Software I
could  use  to manage my Photos. digiKam looks like it fits very well,
so I gave it a shot (or two in this case).

First,  I  installed  it  in a VM just to play around with it a little
bit.  To  get some Photos into digiKam I used the "Import from foreign
PC / location". I did this for 47 Photos (Jpeg, ~6MB each) and it took
20 minutes. I thought it´s because it runs in a VM which can make some
things much slower.

After  a  while  I  installed  it native on my PC (Windows 7 x64, Core
i5 at 4.5GHz  and  4  GB RAM) and did an import for the same 47 pictures.
This  time  it  took  17 minutes. While the Import process was running
there  was  no  considerable  CPU  activity (3-15%, so not even 1 core
running  full), no noticable HDD activity and no Network traffic (this
time I advised digiKam to save the pictures on my NAS).

Also while the Import process was running that slow, digiKam sometimes
did  not  react to my Input. What I mean is, that when a process hangs
you  cannot  click  into the Window. It seems like digiKam grabbed one
pic and just sitted there and did nothing for a while and then grabbed
the next picture.

Since  it´s  my  first  day  with digiKam I´m probably doing something
wrong.  Can  someone help me here or is the import process really that
slow?  If yes, I think I need a long holiday to import my hundreds of
pictures.

Regards,

buedi