[Digikam-users] Sort by Category/Collection, album icon generation

Marie-Noëlle Augendre mnaugendre at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 13:56:57 GMT 2012

I'm not sure which manual you're refering to... I'm not aware there is a
document that reflects more or less the current state of Digikam; but I
might have missed this interesting piece of documentation. ;-)

As far as I know, albums/sub-albums have always been sorted in alphabetic
order; so I simply prefix them with an appropriate number so they are
sorted according to my needs. And it is always possible to rename albums if
you want to change the sorting order sometime in the future.
By the way, there is an album category feature (see Configuration ->
Configurer Digikam -> Catégories d'albums - in the french version) that
might allows you to sort albums by category; I've never used it (yet) but
it might do the trick you're looking for.

I've never seen a way to automatically assign a picture to an album icon...
but these icons are so tiny (I use the smallest so I can display much
information) that I don't assign picture to them; I'd rather rely on
meaningful album names to manage my collections.

Hope this helps,
Marie-Noëlle

2012/12/22 Philippe Bernery <pb.mosca at yahoo.com>

> Hi everyone,
>
> I just started to use digiKam to manage my photos. I use version 2.8.0,
> packaged with Kubuntu 12.10.
>
> I search the Internet and the user manual how to sort my albums by
> category (or by collection as written in the manual). I set a category
> to one of my albums to test the feature, however I cannot find where I
> can select "sort by category/collection"  in the menu or in the toolbar.
> In the manual, it is said to select the View -> Sort albums -> By
> collection but I do not see any "Sort albums" sub-menu, only "sort images".
>
> Also, I read and saw some screenshots about image icon in place of a
> folder icon in the album tree view. I manage to set an image icon from a
> photo manually but I wonder if there is a way to let digiKam select an
> image automatically. I read in the manual that digiKam should take the
> first image of an album for that but it seems it does not work here.
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Philippe

<http://www.marie-noelle-augendre.com/photos/>

Mes dernières photos sont dans ma
galerie<http://www.marie-noelle-augendre.com/photos/>
.
Connaissez-vous Image Fixe <http://image-fixe.org>, le photo-club de Saint
Jean du Gard ?
Et parcourez les Cévennes à ma façon avec Cévennes
Plurielles<http://www.cevennes-plurielles.com/>,