[Digikam-users] Big problems with medium to large sized collections under Microsoft Windows

Andrew Goodbody ajg02 at elfringham.co.uk
Thu Dec 6 18:14:11 GMT 2012

On 05/12/12 16:52, Brian Morrison wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 20:59:53 +0000
> Andrew Goodbody wrote:
>
>> If you want to build digiKam from source, I can probably tell you the
>> place to increase the time out.
>
> That might not be the correct way to fix it, the problem is more likely
> to be that the KDE libraries for Windows are not as stable as those on
> *nix because they are less developed and there isn't the effort
> available to improve the port.

No, it is not the correct way to fix it or I would have sent a patch
years ago. Yes literally 2 years ago. It is however a pragmatic way to
get it to work right now. I know it will make it work as I tried it out
back in 2010. My bug report will be 3 years old in January and there has
been no movement on it since. Laurent said it was a big issue for him
and Wolfgang would also like a fix and there must be many others not
even on this list. I will not hold my breath while waiting for someone
to fix it the correct way.

You can say 'not our problem' as much as you like but the fact is that
this bug is our problem as digiKam seems to be the only application to
be badly affected by it. It is negatively affecting the users of digiKam
on Windows and therefore harming the reputation of digiKam as a whole.

Andrew