[Digikam-users] reverse geocoding and writing to iptc and xmp fields

Schusch schosch at snafu.de
Sat Dec 1 18:48:49 GMT 2012

Hi there,

two questions regarding the reverse geocoding in digikam:

1)

I'm not able to use the reverse geocoding via geonames.org (openstreetmap works
well). Any idea what is wrong here? I use geonames.org place name (non-US),
language: german. The box "Write tags to XMP" is checked (I want the location
info to be written in xmp location tags).

I've activated under "Places":

-Country
-State
-State destrict
-County
-City
-City district
-Suburb
-Town
-Village
-Hamlet
-Street
-House number

Result always: Places-Deutschland ... no city, no street, nothing.

I use geonames with geosetter a lot (want to change for geotagging to linux too)
- with geosetter this works great, also to see in meta data with digikam.

2)

With the reverse geocoding using openstreetmap (geonames doesn't work, see point
1) I get good results but: the results are written in "Edit Metadata-Edit
XMP-Keywords".

But I would expect the geolocation information to be found in
"Edit Metadata-Edit XMP-Origin Information-City, Sublocation, State/Province,
Country" (this is where geosetters puts the geonames information and where it
belongs to)

Any idea why? Do I have some settings wrong? Does the assigning to the location
related tags not work at all?

I'm working with Digikam 2.9.0 on openSUSE

regards, Schusch