[Digikam-users] How to use versioning?

Andreas Mair amair.sob at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 31 07:22:16 BST 2012

Hello Marcel,

2012/8/30 Marcel Wiesweg <marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de>:

>> I've finally found time to update to KDE 4.8.5 and digiKam 2.8.0 and
>> test again. But nothing changed.
>>

>> LibKExiv2: 2.1.0
>
> I checked the tags set in the libkexiv2 repository. Apparently all relevant
> sidecar fixes are still only in master (4.9) and not in the 4.8 branch.

thanks for checking and sharing this information.

This once more makes me think that maybe the huge KDE SC updates are
not that perfect for small library updates like this one.
I don't know when this feature landed in digiKam but I started my
tests with v2.6.0 which has been announced 2012-06-07. KDE v4.9.0 has
been released 2012-08-01. So that at least 2 month of having KDE
releases that ship a buggy libkexiv2.
I really don't want to offend someone as I really appreciate the work
of both digiKam and KDE developers but maybe releasing or packaging
should be rethought.

One thing digiKam could do is to update its dependencies documentation
and warn if it is used with too old libraries.

Best regards,
Andreas

--
http://andreas.vdr-developer.org --- VDRAdmin-AM & EnigmaNG &