[Digikam-users] Managing workflow - how to manage NEF, PNG, JPG versions of same file?

Wolfgang Mader Wolfgang_Mader at brain-frog.de
Wed Apr 11 21:20:16 BST 2012

On Tuesday 10 April 2012 12:28:49 Simon Cropper wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Photos copied to my 'albums/folders' are done so as RAW files. These are
> essentially my digital negatives.
>
> I then work through a set workflow...
> - view each file; delete out of focus or poorly exposed images
> - Use digikam to bulk convert the remaining files to PNG
> - Work on each file; crop, adjust curves, apply filters, etc
>    usually using GIMP.
> - Edited files are then converted to appropriate format for end use,
>    e.g. JPG for webpages, PNG for reports.
>
> Is there any way of...
> - associating 'versions' of the same file together?
> - having a file created when a batch process is done recording what was
> done?
>
> Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If you edit a file within Digikam, you can save it as a new version of the
original file. In this case Digikam keeps track of file versions.

Digikam also allows for grouping images. Usually, I shoot raw and jpg at the
same time, ending up with two files of the same name but with different
extensions. Unfortunately, Digikam does not group such file automatically (as
far as I know).