[Digikam-users] How to start digikam (with MySQL internal database, digikam 1.9.0)

Milko Krachounov milko at 3mhz.net
Wed Sep 28 07:36:13 BST 2011

I'm using digikam 1.9.0 (because it's the newest version available for
Debian).

I switched from SQLite to MySQL because SQLite is unusably slow on btrfs
(hangs for about a minute every time I delete a picture or two). I chose
"Internal MySQL" and it worked until I restarted the computer.

The problem: It switches off "Internal MySQL" every time I restart digikam,
leaving it to a manual configuration of MySQL that doesn't start the server. Of
course, before a reboot the server is still running, so it works, but after a
reboot the server is gone, and I have no database.

What's worse, digikam refuses to start (saying "cancel" to the connection
attempt cancels digikam startup). I can't start it and change the connection
back to "Internal".

Any suggestions how I could start it?