[Digikam-users] Pentax PEF vs DNG in digikam

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 08:10:41 BST 2011

2011/9/27 Karl Günter Wünsch <kgw at mineralien-verkauf.de>:
> On Tuesday 27 September 2011, Gilles Caulier wrote:
>> DNG is not lossy format, especially metadata. All is preserved, as
> markernotes.
> This most certainly is wrong. Even (or especially) the Adobe RAW to DNG
> converter at times has reinterpreted (I would go as far as saying
> misinterpreted) some of the metadata - while preserving the original maker
> notes which no one can do anything useful with in a DNG - resulting in for
> example wrong black value data which couldn't be corrected because that data
> had been falsely derived from some discarded rows and columns of the sensor...

I know that Adobe converter do not backup makernote properly
(especially for Olympus camera).

This is not true for digiKam DNG converter (i know, i written code (:=))) :

https://projects.kde.org/projects/extragear/graphics/kipi-plugins/repository/revisions/master/entry/dngconverter/dngwriter/dngwriter.cpp#L1034

The problem is raw processor (libraw), which do not use this backup
properly for the moment. At least NO data are lost in DNG