[Digikam-users] Thumbnail database issues after upgrading to V2.1

Gys van Zyl gysvanzyl at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 19:00:12 BST 2011

Hi all,
After an upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1 I get the following error message:

Failed to initialize thumbnail database
Error message: The database is not valid: the "DBThumbnailsVersion"
setting does not exist. The current database schema version cannot be
verified. Try to start with an empty database.

I use MySQL for the digikam databases. My thumbnails database is
called digikam_thumbs. It contains a Settings table with the
following:

DBThumbnailsVersionRequired   1
DBThumbnailsVersion         2

I had to manually create these entries when I started to use mysql
with digikam 2.0 and before the upgrade it worked fine. In an attempt
to solve the problem I also inserted the same entries into the digikam
pictures database (called digikam_db in my case):

mysql> insert into digikam_db.Settings(keyword,value)
mysql> VALUES('DBThumbnailsVersionRequired','1');
mysql> insert into digikam_db.Settings(keyword,value)
mysql> VALUES('DBThumbnailsVersion','2');

After this, digikam starts without an error message, but the generated
thumbnails don't "stick". They are re-generated every time digikam
restarts and I go back to an album for which thumbnails have been
generated during a previous run.

Any ideas what the problem might be and how to solve it?

-------
Gys