[Digikam-users] Migration problems - Digikam 1.8 to 2.0

Photonoxx photonoxx at free.fr
Tue Sep 13 19:01:49 BST 2011

Le Tue, 13 Sep 2011 10:49:15 +0200, Rinus Bakker
<sleeplessregulus at gmail.com> a écrit:

> I am taking here about linux, so I hope you are on linux too
>
> #############################################
>
> locate your db´s:
> digikam4.db
> thumbnails-digikam.db
>
> and move them where you want them
>
> in your new computer open with gedit ~/.kde/shar/config/digikam.rc
>

> you will find two lines referring to your digikam database. Take care
> this
> point to the place where you moved them.
>
> do the same with your photos, store them on your new computer BUT VERY
> IMPORTANT take care the path looks EXCACTLY the same as on your old
> computer
>
> example /home/Bojan/media/photo/ this means that the name of your drive
> where your fotos are stored should be the same as in the former
> situation,
> else you would confuse your database.
>
> start digikam on your new computer.
>
> goto settings->configure digikam->database
>
> and point to the place where you stored it on the new computer and click
> ok
>
> Now it may complain about albums not found, because of a differen
> harddisk
> id or somthing.
> remove the albums, if they are there from settings->configure
> digikam->collections and re add them. Take care to add exacly the same
> albums as in the former situation.
>
> Now it start rereading everything, and you will probably end up with the
> same as you started with. Anyway it always works for me and it is easy to
> do.
>
> DONE!

IMHO, I prefer to use an external USB Disk with on it my photos and my DB.

The worse which can happen is I launch Digikam without plugging the disk
and have to quit and re-launch after plugging it.

If the disk doesn't have mount point in /etc/fstab it will be mounted when
plugged with the name of partition label (so potentially the same on all
linux system).

After that, you just have to set Digikam to look for DB and pictures on
this disk.

Obviously, you need to have the permission to read write on this partition
(so fat32 or NTFS with adequate default mounting options).

I just close this message by adding my voice to Martin Burnicki and
Jean-François Rabasse words about Raw metadata writing. As sidecar seems
not yet standardized (even for software which use them) and could be lost
too (if batch renaming pictures but not sidecar), I thing embedding
metadatas in RAW files is not a bad way to tag pictures.

Most of manufacturer software use this method I think (and at least
CaptureNX for NEF files), so if it's a so risked way to proceed, I don't
think manufacturers will use it.

The second key is making backup. I think having two backup is good. One
made when you import your pictures from camera or memory card
(Rapid-Photo-Downloader make this perfectly) and an other made regularly
 from your working directory to have a backup of the modification you made
to your files.

In the worse case, you still can get back your files "backuped" from "out
of the camera".

I sometimes had some trouble with metadata Raw writing, but most of the
time I don't have to use backup, setting one more time the tags with
patched exiv2 get back functional RAW files.

--
Nicolas Boulesteix
Photographe chasseur de lueurs