[Digikam-users] Migration problems - Digikam 1.8 to 2.0

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at gmx.de
Mon Sep 12 22:27:33 BST 2011

Anders Stedtlund wrote:
> This is not going to help but I'm just curious. (I might have missed
> something in the conversation...)
>
> Do you really mean that you lose all your tags whenever you upgrade to
> a new version? I can't remember that I ever have had that problem when
> upgrading to a new version.

I think one of the best advantages of digital photos is that you can store
data inside the image file, i.e. camera and lens information, but also
comments, copyright, geo tags, etc.

If you give those photos away to someone else then those people have all the
information available, if you want.

The advantage of using a database is that a program like digikam can search
very much faster for photos which match certain criteria.

In my opinion the best practice is to save all meta data inside the photos, so
if your database gets corrupted for any reason you can always rebuild the
database from the information inside the photos.

This is also a good thing if you should sometimes decide to use a different
photo management software than DK. OK, OK, this will never happen as long as
DK is such an excellent program ;-))

Martin