[Digikam-users] Refocus: Do you want to try digiKam and/or showFoto on Ubuntu but you are running Windows have a look at this.

sleepless sleeplessregulus at hetnet.nl
Tue Sep 6 17:56:29 BST 2011

Hi,

This applies only to digikam 2.0.0 running on Ubuntu 11.4, running in
oracle virtual box 4.1.2, running on a windows 7 platform running on an
hp amd64 laptop.

>> Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more
>> violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move
>> in the opposite direction
> Albert Einstein

Just to make sure I do not talk nonsens here and do not sent people in
to the woods, or swamps I tried a completely new setup with latest
oracle VirtualBox and latest release Ubuntu 11.4 and latest dk from
Phillip´s ppa.
Although the setup goes flawless you can´t do much with it.
There happened weird things trying to mount drives and it was not
possible to work on existing digikam database. Afterall I consider this
not as a workable setup.
(same with the opensuse image from jdd)
Thanks to all who invested energy and time in to this. I discontinue my
work on a how to digikam in Virtual machine.
Unless someone  convinces me that I am wrong, I will not encourage
anyone to go this way.
Just go dual boot. It is simple and it works.

Regards,
Rinus