[Digikam-users] What's with this HTML scrubbing crap?

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Fri Sep 2 13:41:35 BST 2011

On Friday 02 September 2011 08:05:15 Paul Verizzo wrote:
> Second or third time as of late.  After learning the hard way - and
> being chastised for daring to want to use HTML although the newletter
> uses it - I've been very careful to just use text.
>
> What gives?
>
> More Linux secret handshakes.........

Not really. HTML makes mails a lot longer, not all mail reader programs
support it and it doesn't add anything at all to a simple text message (except
overhead...).

Not to mention that a lot of the spam/junk mail uses HTML with lots of links
to external images etc. => long downloads and security risks. Result: some
mail readers that can display HTML are configured by default not to, and then
even a clean HTML message is a mess.

(for information: my reader can read HTML, I left the default not to use HTML
formatting, and then HTML messages are a pain)

Remco