[Digikam-users] Do you want to try digiKam on LiveUSB

Marie-Noëlle Augendre mnaugendre at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 08:56:36 BST 2011

2011/9/2 sleepless <sleeplessregulus at hetnet.nl>:

> Marie-Noëlle came up with this statement:
> /*
> You don't even need to install a virtual box. I explained how I had used
> Digikam with a simple LiveUSB; in fact, you can bring your Digikam
> everywhere with you and run it on any PC.
> */
>
> As I do not like to advice to do something more complicated than necessary I
> digged in to this ¨simple¨ solution, only to find out, at the cost of a
> couple hours,  that this is realy not a simple matter.
>
> Note:
> Marie-Noelle stated that digikam probably will run smoother than from
> VirtualBox, and this was confirmed by Vlado.

I did investigate this solution because I had to provide a running
Digikam in quite a short time to several people using different
computers of every age/configuration. And it worked as it was intended
to do.

If I had to do this for myself, I will certainly go for the double
boot option, that gives you the best of each world.
And though I run Linux/Fedora almost 100% of the time, I'm "obliged"
to keep a double boot to use a proprietory application under Windows
(no satisfying equivalent for Linux ...)
In my case, I set up the default boot to Fedora; but for a regular
Windows user, Windows should be set up as the default boot.
With the most current Linux distros (Ubuntu, Fedora, just to name the
ones I've used) it's quite easy to install a double boot once you've a
LiveInstall (on CD, DVD or USB).. Then, you just have to install the
Digikam package provided by your distro.

My own 0.02 ...

Marie-Noëlle

--
Une galerie photos, un blog ... pourquoi pas ? Webmaster en herbe

Parcourez les Cévennes à ma façon : Cévennes Plurielles

Et toutes mes autres publications à partir de ma page d'accueil générale