[Digikam-users] switching ubuntu to fedora

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Sat Oct 29 15:35:21 BST 2011

Am Samstag, 29. Oktober 2011 schrieb sleepless:
> Thanks for all the responses. The answer to the main question,
> ¨will I be better off¨ is still not convincingly set. For as long
> as it takes everything is working. I hope to maintain this status
> quo for a while. best,
> Rinus

Hi Rinus

You will never get an answer to your main question "will you be better
switching to fedora". I personally tried ubuntu a few years ago and
never was satisfied the way they do things. But I must confess that I
came from Mandrake/Mandriva and this originally was a spin off from
redhat. To me fedora was easier than all the ubuntu way.

But in general: If you only use the packageKit programs to install and
maintain software there will be almost no difference. Some
configuration files are named different and you have to search them in
different places (network configuration files for example) but this is
easy to learn.

The main difference is that fedora use Gnome instead of unity by
default. If you use KDE fedora is better than ubuntu (imho). And the
kde fedora mailing list is very good.

Martin