[Digikam-users] Problem with new hard disk containing existing images

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Sun Oct 9 21:38:57 BST 2011

Am Sonntag, 9. Oktober 2011 schrieb Stuart T Rogers:
> Well I un-mounted the original copy and then started Digikam. I
> then got messages for each collection saying that it was not on
> the disk with the correct UUID but had found it elsewhere, despite
> the fact that they were mounted at the same mount point!!!
>
> To my mind to use a UUID in the database to find one's collection
> is just daft. Noone but computers use UUIDs, it should simply use
> the original path and if it cannot find the photos then open a
> dialog for the user to select the correct path.
>
> I simply do not understand why on earth the UUID is used to
> identify collections, it makes it very awkward to replace a hard
> drive with the photos on for a larger one.
>
> Please change the way Digikam works so that it uses the actual path
> and not the UUID.

Using the UUID is a fine idea for removable hard disks. So digikam can
find it wherever it is mounted to. The mounting procedure may be
different but the UUID will not change.

Can you please take a look into your digikam.db with sqliteman? there
must be a table called albumroots where all the roots of you
configured albums are stored. There you can find the named UUID (at
least I hope so). Changing it to the UUID of the new hard disk may
solve your problem (a backup is a good idea of course). I never tested
this myself thou.

Martin