[Digikam-users] Do the 'panorama tools' work on the MacPorts version of Digikam?

Phil Stanford phil.stanford at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 18:33:49 BST 2011

Thanks for your mail -

On 9 October 2011 17:21, bkn <bkn at ithryn.net> wrote:

> I'm running digikam (v2.2.0) on OS X. I haven't been able to get the pano
> tools to run correctly, it crashes during the optimization stage of the
> pano. However to get as far as i did, i needed to patch the code very
> slightly, which has been submitted as a patch to the devs.

OK, I guess you're building 2.2.0 from the tarball then?  I've stuck to
using MacPorts , more within my comfort zone for the Mac, and generally
takes care of all dependencies consistently, although releases lag behind a
bit.  Hopefully the package maintainer will pick up on Gilles' forthcoming
2.3.0 release ....

> Alternatively you could still run higin natively on OS X.
>

> 'align_image_stack' is an executable distributed w/ Hugin. If you download
> and install it, it'll be located in /Applications/Hugin/HuginTools/. This
> directory will need to be in your path do digikam knows where to find these
> executables.

I did install the MacPorts version of Hugin, and I do have the
'align_image_stack' executable, which is located in /opt/local/bin like all
the other MacPorts binaries (and this is in my path).  Hugin itself seems to
run OK.

> These may be separate issues I guess.
>
> sort of. Digikam, does rely on binaries from the Hugin project, hence your
> error re: align_image_stack.

It's odd that MacPorts Digikam can't see MacPorts 'align_image_stack' though
(/opt/local/bin is in my path).  I also have the 'panoramagui'  KDE
application installed, and similarly that's giving errors about not being
able to find the Hugin component 'autooptimiser', so this is probably not a
Digikam issue.  I'm not sure if there's any overall KDE path that needs
tweaking for MacPorts so applications check /opt/local/bin.

Do you actually get any different functionality using Pano tools through
Digikam rather than Hugin then, or is it simply a different front-end?

Thanks
Phil