[Digikam-users] Digikam and the KDE

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 11:56:48 BST 2011

On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 12:45 PM, sleepless <sleeplessregulus at hetnet.nl> wrote:
> Op 07-10-11 19:32, David Vincent-Jones schreef:
>> Of course this is plain heresy but .... looking at digikam installation
>> problems I have had and that others share on the forum, many of the
>> difficulties appear to be rooted in the tight integration of the program
>> along with the requirements of its desktop environment.
>>
>> As far as I can tell this is the only program running on my system that
>> requires a very large desktop emulator, and of a specific release build,
>> to operate correctly. To me, this is more than highly reminiscent of the
>> Microsoft bloatware from which I fled some years ago.
>>
>> Are there graphic, or other, functions that can only be done under this
>> environment? I hardly think so. Is my desktop improved by the use of
>> this emulator? If so I do not see it.    ....... Are there any thoughts,
>> or moves towards, extracting Digikam into a more neutral environment?
>>
>> David
>
> The main point of my thoughts is the gut feeling that we are going down,
> because of the greatness and complexity of kde and digikam.
> Bugfixing and fixing the bugs in the fixes is a downward spiral, at some
> point you need to rethink, redraw and rebuild.
> Rinus

What makes you think the rebuilt version would be any better?  Unless
you have some specific, practical suggestions for how the underlying
systems could be improved upon, it is just wishful thinking.

Actually, that was exactly what happened for the KDE 3 -> KDE 4
transition (at least partially, a lot of stuff was kept).  Do you
remember how much fun that was?  It took over 3 years from the release
of KDE 4 to the time digikam was fully ported to it (with digikam
2.0).  That is just making digikam work with the new system, it does
not include all the work done by other developers to make the
underlying system work, which was going on for several years at least
before the release of KDE 4.  You are saying Digikam developers should
have to do that all over again, AND re-implement all the stuff that
the KDE developers had already done, which means it would take even
longer.

-Todd