[Digikam-users] Digikam and the KDE

sleepless sleeplessregulus at hetnet.nl
Sun Oct 9 10:10:52 BST 2011

Op 09-10-11 09:42, todd rme schreef:
> On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 8:09 PM, sleepless<sleeplessregulus at hetnet.nl>  wrote:
>> I thought there was an effort a while ago to port digikam to quicktime to
>> make it independent from kde, which makes it dependent of quicktime.
> I think you mean Qt.  Qt is a widget toolkit, quicktime is a (mostly
> obsolete) multimedia codec and container.
thanks, and where is Qt standing for?

>> I think it would be great if there came  a fork of digikam that takes the
>> grandiose, excellent, wonderful, splendid, magnificent, special, unique,
>> exquisite, exclusive, unparalleled digikam architecture  as a fundament and
>> build it up from the ground without all the needless complexities that makes
>> it so prone to trouble.
> And how many years are you willing to wait for that?
I think 20 enthousiasts can do it in 2 years, that would be 1 from each
300.000.000.

> That is ignoring the fact that digikam would become far more complex.
>   Add to that the fact that with far fewer people using it than are
> using the more general KDE-provided functionality bugs will be more
> common and harder to track down, and with far fewer developers bugs
> will take longer to fix.
Bugs should not be there! Imagine the airplane industry worked this way,
sending the planes in the air and fix bugs after every crash and then
with every fix introducing three new ones.
I have been programming assembly and later on C++. The hardware was the
only limitation. But after that the higher level languages took over,
and every next level adds severe limitations. I think kde is in this
respect the top level programming language.

Just thoughts, I admit to be ignorent!
Rinus