[Digikam-users] Digikam and the KDE

Subash nsjeyan at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 07:36:33 BST 2011

On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 10:32:39 -0700
David Vincent-Jones <davidvj at frontier.com> wrote:

> Of course this is plain heresy but .... looking at digikam
> installation problems I have had and that others share on the forum,
> many of the difficulties appear to be rooted in the tight integration
> of the program along with the requirements of its desktop environment.

generally agree with your opinions there. digikam is so tightly
integrated with the kde desktop environment that it becomes very
difficult to upgrade the application without upgrading KDE too. a huge
ask. i don't really know what the gains of such tight integration are
but i do know you are losing a lot of potential users. there'd be a lot
more users if digikam were a little more independent of KDE and hence a
little more easy to compile and run.

i am on the latest stable release of slackware yet can't compile DK
2.1.x or 2.2.0 because i need to upgrade KDE from 4.5.5. i think i'll
stick to DK 2.0 thanks...

regards, subash