[Digikam-users] Faces in metadata

Matthew Gardner mg1 at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Nov 28 17:21:37 GMT 2011

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out how much of the face information entered into
digikam persists in the file metadata.  When I open a file with a saved
face in another program to just look at the metadata, I see that there are
tags indicating the faces in the image.  What I don't see are the locations
of those faces.  But yet if I copy the file and put it back into digikam,
digikam knows where the faces are.  Is that information actually stored in
the file, or is digikam running its face detection code on the image again
and using the metadata to reproduce the faces from the original image?

I tried looking online to find an answer to this, and all I found was a
message to digikam-devel in March, and the answer was that someone was
working on saving things the right way, but I didn't find what the
resolution was.

Thanks,
Matt