[Digikam-users] re Windows version

Paul Verizzo paulv at paulv.net
Sun May 22 15:58:50 BST 2011

Giles, thanks for taking the time to respond to my post.  It's pretty
much as I thought, and I do understand, although I've not a clue about
libraries and compiling and such matters.  Here is what I don't understand:

1.  Why the KDE underpinnings.  It's not just us Win-doze users
experiencing problems, it seems that LInux users do, too.  Perhaps I'm
misremembering.  There are plenty of multi-platform programs out there
that aren't locked into what I think of as that KDE nightmare.  I'm
going to guess that KDE is where you started and now you are locked in.

2.  As Windows has some 15-20 times the users at the desktop level, I
would think that you would want a good Windows version.  Of course, I've
seen enough Linux pride to understand that might not be the case.  Or,
just not enough time to support all those potential Windows users.
That, I certainly do understand.

I guess I"ll run the 1.7 until it's hair gets gray, or see if the KDE
Windows team updates sometime this century and swallow all the crammed
down apps that comes with it.  I just trundled over to the KDE for
Windows site and true to form, not a clue about digiKam updates since
February 2010, IIRC.  No search function, either.  Sigh.

Best to all,

Paul