[Digikam-users] Re: Digikam startup takes ~ 30 hours

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at gmx.de
Tue May 10 13:50:02 BST 2011

David Kerber wrote:
> On 5/10/2011 8:11 AM, Benjamin Harders wrote:
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > For the last start-up of digikam I had to wait about 30 hours. *that is
> > not funny*
> > I was a little little bit not amused, when digikam crashed one hour
> > after the successful start, while I changed one word in the tag filter
> > field on the right bottom - obviously too quickly.
> > Digikam uses 80M RAM after a few minutes of start-up procedure. It
> > increases kilobyte by kilobyte until it comes to more than 400M RAM
> > after 30 hours. All the time there is a little network traffic ~
> > 300kbit/s in both directions.

I have seen such behaviour before.

Have you run the function before which collects duplicates all over your
collection? The results are obviously saved in the database, and then loaded
again every time you start DK.

The only fix for me to get rid of this huge amount of search results was to
delete and re-create the data base. If you do so take care your metatadata
have been saved to the image files, otherwise they are lost when you delete
and recreate the database.

Martin