[Digikam-users] Re: Export Piwigo - Automatic exif rotation don't work

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at gmx.de
Tue May 10 12:51:52 BST 2011

Sylvain ZUCCA wrote:
> Ok
>
> Should I open a ticket on "KDE Bug Tracking ? For Digikam or Kipi-Plugins ?
>
> Nobody knows who is the maintainer of the Piwigo Plugin in Digikam ?
>

> 2011/5/10 jdd <jdd at dodin.org>
>
> > Le 10/05/2011 07:03, Sylvain ZUCCA a écrit :
> > >     In Digikam, my photos are correctly oriented in accordance with
> > >     the exif data
> > >
> > >     When I export my photos to Piwigo, the orientation of the pictures
> > >     does not follow
> > >
> > >     Where is the problem ?
> >
> > I have the same - as far as I know it's a digikam bug, but the
> > available version is very old, so it's not to be fixed.
> >
> > and it have nothing to do with piwigo.
> >
> > the problem, basically, is the way the rotation flag is used. you
> > probably also notice that in digikam phots are sometime openned
> > rotated and sometime not. Only the rotation in the editor is
> > definitely recorded

According to the experience I've made the orientation flag saved with the EXIF
data leads into problems very often: Whenever you display the same image
using different software or web services the image maybe shown correctly or
with a wrong orientation, depending on whether the resulting software
evaluates the orientation flag, or not.

That's why I'm usually calling the menu function "Image --> Auto rotate/flip
using EXIF In formation" on all images right after i have added new images to
my DK collection. This makes sure the images are always shown correctly by
web services and by programs used by other people to display my images.

Make sure in the menu "Settings -> Configure Digikam" in the "Metadata"section
the option "Set orientation flag to normal after rotate/flip" is checked.

Martin