[Digikam-users] Re: If tagging is to you an important tool for your photo management you should be aware of some issues.

sleepless sleeplessregulus at hetnet.nl
Thu Mar 31 08:46:01 BST 2011

Thanks for your attention Marcel!
On 30-03-11 22:48, Marcel Wiesweg wrote:
>> If you drag a tag to a thumpnail and you say "assign tag to this item"
>> it wil give the tag not to the thumpnail you point to but it is assigned
>> to the
>> currently selected thumpnail instead.
> I cannot reproduce: In a simple test, the tag is assigned to the dropped-on
> item if I select "Assign to this".
I reconfirmed this this morning. You should highlight one thump and than
drag from ¨captions/tags¨ window a tag including parents to the image
near the highlighted one and drop with ¨assign to this¨ The metadata of
both photos have changed now (should be only one) and in a different
way. Actually, the wrong photo changed in the right way and the right
photo in the wrong way.
If you can not confirm this: note that I am using ubuntu 10.10, kde
4.6.1 digikam 2.0.0.4 If I am allowed I can attach screen shots.
>> The thumpnail you pointed to wil
>> get only the "child" tag and not the "parent" tags.
>> As for example. you drag
>> "Who
>>     We
>>      Me" (from now on written as "Who->We->Me") it will be assigned to
>> the currently selected item(s) as the pointed to thumbnail will get
>> Who/We/Me.
> So the dropped-on item will get "Me" and the selected items will get all three
> tags additionally ??
Excactly!
>> If you later want to add the tag "She" you will see in the former case
>> "Who->We->She
>>                         Me", as in the latter case whit "Who/We/Me",
>> actually will "Me" be replaced with "She", so you will have now
>> "Who/We/She" instead of
>> "Who/We/Me
>>                      She"
> So one already assigned tag is replaced by a newly assigned tag??
Right!
>> Removing tags can be a jeopardy too. I did not manage to get clear. It
>> looks like I have sometimes to click on "remove this tag" and some other
>> times on the
>> tagname itself. Sometimes the parents go with their children, somtimes
>> the children with there parents, sometimes I have to click a lot (whit a
>> lot of clicks
>> that do not lead to any action performed at all) before the whole
>> tagtree is removed. Is there a system what I miss, or is there a need
>> for improvement?
> To which user interface element are you referring here?
To rightclick on thump ¨remove tag¨.

My thought: To start with, in the unfolding tag structure, either
¨remove this tag¨ or the tagname itself should be not highlighted or not
clickeble.
>> Besides that:
>> I wood strongly plea for a rightclick option menu
>> remove tag
>> remove tag with children
>> remove tag with parents
>>
>> as well as a function in the thumbnail window rightclick "copy tag" and
>> "past tag"
>>
>> If you want to see the result of your labour, you will have to look in
>> the properties window as the pop up window at the thumnails is not
>> properly updated
>> after you performed an action.
> The tooltip's text is recreated each time, I couldnt see any problem here in a
> short test.
Well, I myself can not reproduce it now.