[Digikam-users] If tagging is to you an important tool for your photo management you should be aware of some issues.

sleepless sleeplessregulus at hetnet.nl
Tue Mar 29 10:02:48 BST 2011

If tagging is to you an important tool for your photo management you
should be aware of some issues.

If you drag a tag to a thumpnail and you say "assign tag to this item"
it wil give the tag not to the thumpnail you point to but it is assigned
to the
currently selected thumpnail instead. The thumpnail you pointed to wil
get only the "child" tag and not the "parent" tags.
As for example. you drag
"Who
   We
    Me" (from now on written as "Who->We->Me") it will be assigned to
the currently selected item(s) as the pointed to thumbnail will get
Who/We/Me.

If you later want to add the tag "She" you will see in the former case
"Who->We->She
                       Me", as in the latter case whit "Who/We/Me",
actually will "Me" be replaced with "She", so you will have now
"Who/We/She" instead of
"Who/We/Me
                    She"

Removing tags can be a jeopardy too. I did not manage to get clear. It
looks like I have sometimes to click on "remove this tag" and some other
times on the
tagname itself. Sometimes the parents go with their children, somtimes
the children with there parents, sometimes I have to click a lot (whit a
lot of clicks
that do not lead to any action performed at all) before the whole
tagtree is removed. Is there a system what I miss, or is there a need
for improvement?

Besides that:
I wood strongly plea for a rightclick option menu
remove tag
remove tag with children
remove tag with parents

as well as a function in the thumbnail window rightclick "copy tag" and
"past tag"

If you want to see the result of your labour, you will have to look in
the properties window as the pop up window at the thumnails is not
properly updated
after you performed an action.

Please comment on this, to get the picture as clear as possible before
reporting as bug.

Rinus

"There is a crack in everyting
That's how the light goes in"