[Digikam-users] Re: 1.9 or 2.0 compiled for Windows?

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 21:43:36 GMT 2011

2011/3/25 Martin Javorek <martin at javorkovi.cz>:
>>> I did try digikam on Windows too - with the same result. Disaster. (In version 1.7 it cannot move the photo into trash, wtf?).
>>Bug from KDELibs, not digiKam. In fact try to use trash from other KDE
>>applications (as dolphin): it doesn't work
>
> OK. But, what can I do with this on windows? Not much.
>
>>>I'm running digikam now in virtualbox + ubuntu (running in 2GB memory space).
>>>Unfortunately, I'm using only the lighttable and managing features now as it looks like digikam
>>>can handle only english characters in metadata.
>
>> no. XMP support UTF-8 (It's not the case of (IPTC)
>
> XMP is in UTF-8 (that's true), but there is no way now not to write IPTC in digikam

IPTC in digiKam as always been written in ASCII, not UTF8. Nothing has
changed here.

 - as digikam cannot handle national characters in IPTC. So, if I
decide to use only XMP, digikam will write also broken IPTC into
image. And if I view photo with different photo management programs,
they mostly look first for IPTC and after for XMP. So - broken
metadata are visible. Using digikam for entering national characetrs
into metadata is usable only if you want to use just digikam for
managing your photos. And even if I decide to, I will still sleeping
wrong as I know, that those IPTC are broken and I need delete them
manually in future by script or repair by copying values from XMP.

The solution here is to have a setup in digiKam be able to disable
IPTC writting, and only write XMP.