[Digikam-users] Re: MPEG Slideshow

Thomas Huettemann t.huettemann at qub.ac.uk
Wed Mar 23 12:09:06 GMT 2011

> Ideally I would like to make a show with transitions, frame rates/display
> times, maybe sound etc into one video(?) file that would work on most systems
> be uploadable to YouTube/Vimeo or similar.

Just to add a "me too" - I have for some time been looking for something
like a "slideshow with sound" feature. More precisely, I'd like to produce
a kind of "movie", bundling sound and (synchronised!) slide show, playable
on computers (and possibly on DVD players).

The problem is not to produce something like this with standard tools:
ffmpeg, for example, can produce movies from jpg files. The actual problem
is to keep the file sizes small. Standard movie encodings (mp4, avi, ...)
are obviously optimised to deal with moving pictures, not (mostly static)
slide shows. I'd like to have a frame rate of 1/5 or 1/10 (that is, a new
picture every 5 or 10 seconds), and ideally a movie file that isn't (much)
bigger than the picture files I start with (plus audio file, of course).

Any suggestions? I'd prefer standard tools/file formats over a customised
mp3-format with customised mp3-player ...

 	Thomas Huettemann