[Digikam-users] Re: Installing Digikam on a Mac

Marie-Noëlle Augendre mnaugendre at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 21:51:50 GMT 2011

We need a software to manage a database of photos for a scientific
association. It'll be used by volunteers who will work for the association
for one or two months, none of them being a developer. About 10 to 12
different computers will be used, some Mac, others PC (I think I'll be the
only one working with Linux).

I suggested Digikam as I know it works on the 3 platforms. It has also the
advantage of the Piwigo-export that'll be very handy to upload the photos
into the online gallery.

But if Digikam is too complicate to install for non-developers who will be
working with it for a couple of months only, we may use any other software
on the "front-office" computers, to sort, tag and rename the photos; before
matter whether one photo has been tagged by one program or another, as long
as the tags are actually written in the file metadata, and the program used
by the "main" computer can retrieve them.
But it could be trikier for the management team to manage volunteers who
won't use the same program ...

Marie-Noëlle

2011/3/17 Gilles Caulier <caulier.gilles at gmail.com>

> I downloaded XCode from apple developer web site. It's free. No need
> to pay for that...
>
> Gilles Caulier
>
> 2011/3/17 Tim Jenness <tim.jenness at gmail.com>:
> >
> > On Mar 17, 2011, at 10:11 AM, Marie-Noëlle Augendre wrote:
> >

> >> 2011/3/16 Gilles Caulier <caulier.gilles at gmail.com>
> >> It easy, but long. I already do it on my macbook.
> >>
> >> You need to install macport. digiKam is available on this project...
> >>
> >> Gilles,
> >>
> >> My friend seems to think she'll need to buy a program called xcode (99€)
> to install macport. Is that the case ?
> >>

> > Not correct. A OSX developer account costs money and comes with XCode
> free. You can get XCode 4 from the App Store for $5 and XCode 3 is still a
> free download if you sign up with a free developer account. You just need
> the compilers though and you can download them from hpc.sourceforget.net.
> >
> > Tim

Une galerie photos, un blog ... pourquoi pas ? Webmaster en
herbe<http://www.webmaster-en-herbe.net/>

Parcourez les Cévennes à ma façon : Cévennes
Plurielles<http://www.cevennes-plurielles.com>

Et toutes mes autres publications à partir de ma page d'accueil
générale<http://www.marie-noelle-augendre.com>