[Digikam-users] Re: Color Management Jeopardy

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Wed Mar 16 06:32:06 GMT 2011

Am 15.03.2011 16:38, schrieb Graham Dicker:
> On Sunday 13 Mar 2011 23:04:02 Elle Stone wrote:
>> Several years ago, I put together a Color Management Tutorial for the
>> digiKam documentation. I wrote it as a series of "Questions and Answers"
>> based on questions that were asked from time to time in the digiKam users
>> forum.
>>
>> A couple of months ago I looked at the html version of that Tutorial
>> (http://docs.kde.org/development/en/extragear-graphics/digikam/raw-decoding
>> .html) and discovered to my dismay that most of the Questions weren't
>> included with the Answers, making it not so much a Tutorial as a game of
>> Color Management Jeopardy (here's the answer: "Glad you asked. All digital
>> camera images start out as raw files . . . " - now try to guess the
>> question).
>>
>> So I've written an entirely new tutorial and posted it to my website:
>>
>> http://ninedegreesbelow.com/2011/imaging/color-management-tutorial/color-ma
>> nagement-tutorial-table-of-contents.html
>>
> <snipped>
>
> Great article I will need to read it a couple more times before I can really
> get my head around it. First question that I have is how do I deal with the
> raw images out of my Pentax K200D? There is no embedded profile in the raw
> files and I cannot find one for this camera anywhere on the internet. On the
> CD that came with the camera there are icc files for sRGB and AdobeRGB but I
> don't know if these have any bearing on the processing of PEF/DNG files.

Hallo Graham

Most likely the manufactures colour profiles are useless for handling
with digikam (or any other free raw development tool). So either trust
the default colour profiles of digikam or create one by your own.

As I already said: colour profiles are a little overestimated. You only
need this, if you have to relay on colour correctness (product photos
and similar). With this you need a complete colour calibrated setup
(this includes your monitors, printers and your light in your working
rooms).

So, first work with all available settings (try ufraw or darktable if
raw development of digikam is not sophisticated enough). And if you
still have problems with colours try profiling your camera.

> Graham Dicker

Martin