[Digikam-users] Re: SRBG, Adobe RGB, What to use ?

David Vincent-Jones davidvincentjones at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 16:49:29 BST 2011

There can be substantial losses between the 16 bit data of a raw file
and an 8 bit version. Compare the histograms of a converted 16 bit file
and the 8 bit version, they will frequently show 'gaps' in the data post
conversion, especially if any data stretching has been done. Those gaps
will invariably show as banding on a finished, decent sized, print.

Add to this the irretrievable data losses incurred in creating the 8 bit
jpg format. One cannot, for instance, reopen a jpg file and tweek the
image later without possible serious information loss. IMHO the whole
jpg scene is one to avoid. jpg is a nice compact format for snapshots
but one that I would advise others to avoid at any cost for serious
photography.

David