[Digikam-users] Re: Processing RAW images to get to the look of the jpg preview

Sven Burmeister sven.burmeister at gmx.net
Sun Jun 19 22:32:03 BST 2011

Am Sonntag, 19. Juni 2011, 15:30:32 schrieb Remco Viƫtor:
> Usually I need to adjust levels and saturation, sharpen, and use an S-shaped
> curve adjust. Also, gamma has to be adjusted to 2.2 (esp. when using blend
> or unclip, not sure about 'solid white'). Those steps are all applied
> 'in-camera' when you shoot in jpeg, and for the jpeg preview embedded in
> the RAW.
>
> The gamma and saturation can be adjusted in the RAW developer, the others I
> prefer doing afterwards.

These were some really useful hints! I did not think about using gamma to work
against the darkness from the highlight rebuilding before. This works really
well! Though I do not need 2.2 but just 1,7. For contrast 15, saturation 1,1
and exposure 0,5. This brings me pretty close to what the preview jpg shows.

Does using that much gamma not have any side-effects regarding noise?

> I usually don't aim to imitate the camera JPEG (for that I'd better shoot
> RAW+JPEG or just JPEG ;) ).

Me neither but I want to be able to do so.

> As to the 'why' of the darker RAW images, have a look at the Dcraw website
> http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/

I read that before but I just wanted to know how I could get close to the
preview in case I wanted to. Digikam is full of options and I'm still learning
how to combine them in order to get to where I want with a picture. :)

Thanks!

Sven