[Digikam-users] large picture + DB migration

mm Malaleel mathusael at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 6 13:30:25 BST 2011

Hello all,

I would like to get advice on what is the best methodology to migrate from my
computer to a NAS. I'm planning to shift from SQLite to MySQL in the process.
This is how I would proceed:
	* backup of my current picture folders (of course)
	* copy of my pictures folders (or collections) to the NAS
	* creation of the MySQL DB within Digikam
	* migration from the current SQLite to MySQL using Digikam migration tool
	* Deletion of my computer picture collections (in Digikam)
	* Creation of the new NAS picture collections (in Digikam)
However I'm unsure if this is the safest path/recommended methodology? More
specifically, how will digikam figure out that the NAS newly created collections
are in fact my old picture collections under a new location?

My picture collection is several 100 Giga bytes large, with tagging of pictures
for 6 years now... so relatively sizeable thing and I don't want to loose my
tags. Most of them are stored within the pictures, but there are still the
raws...

Any advice would be much appreciated thank you!
Nicolas.