[Digikam-users] Support for geographic direction in geo tags?

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at gmx.de
Wed Jul 27 20:02:29 BST 2011

Hi all,

I'm often using a small GPS geo tagger to record my current location when I'm
taking photos, and use DK's geotagger/correlator feature to read the exported
GPX file and assign the locations to the photos. This works great, and
another great DK feature is to be able to assign a location to a photo
manually, pointing to the location on a map.

In my opinion it it would often also be helpful to know the geographic
direction at which a photo was taken from the given location.

As far as I know some high end cameras with an integrated GPS receiver have
also a built-in compass, so they also "know" the direction at which a photo
is taken, and can save this information in the photo's metadata. A quick
Google search yields there are EXIF tags called
GPSDestLatitude/GPSDestLongitude, or GPSDestBearing, which can store this
information.

Of course, an external GPS tagger knows my location, but does not know the
direction at which the camera points when I take a photo. So a great feature
would be to be able to open the photo in the geo editor (map) to see where it
was taken, and then click into the map to define the direction at which the
photo was taken.

Are there already plans to implement this feature?

Martin