[Digikam-users] Re: Tips on workflow with Android GPS app and Digikam geodata?

Rainer Krienke krienke at uni-koblenz.de
Thu Jul 7 15:13:24 BST 2011

Am Donnerstag, 7. Juli 2011, 14:53:26 schrieb Philip Johnsson:
> Hi all
>
> Just wondering if someone have come up with a good easy workflow or
> solution on how to use the GPS in an Android smartphone to store
> geolocation data and then export and merge data with pictures taken
> with a SLR (Nikon in my case) on location so I can have that meta data
> with them in Digikam? I don't have or think that I want to buy a GPS
> gadget for my Nikon but thought that it might be some easy, handy and
> clever way to use my Android GPS with my SLR.

Hello Philip,

I personally use viewranger for this purpuse as well as for outdoor
"navigation". Each time I start taking photos I start viewranger on my
android, start recording a track and afterwards I can export all tracks
relevant to a GPX file and use digikam to assign the GPS data to my photos
based on photo creation time.

Since I sometimes  use bibble for raw photo file processing instead of digikam
I wrote a simple script that assigns the GPS data from a GPX file to bibbles
sidecar (.xmp) files and thus if I generate a jpg from the raw file in bibble
and look at this file later on in digikam I see where this photo has been
taken, since bibble includes the GPS info from its sidecar file into the EXIF
section  of the jpg.

More about this here :
http://www.krienke.org/technologyblog/23-bibblegps.html

Have a nice day
Rainer
--
Rainer Krienke, Uni Koblenz, Rechenzentrum, A22, Universitaetsstrasse  1
56070 Koblenz, http://userpages.uni-koblenz.de/~krienke, Tel: +49261287 1312