[Digikam-users] Re: digiKam ate my tags: bug, feature, or user-error?

Andrew Goodbody ajg02 at elfringham.co.uk
Sat Jan 29 20:35:36 GMT 2011

On 29/01/11 19:30, Gilles Caulier wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> Probably the problem is somewhere here :
>
> http://lxr.kde.org/source/extragear/graphics/digikam/digikam/metadatahub.cpp#410
>
> But i cannot see what's wrong exactly...

Were you talking to me? Sorry but I don't know the digikam source nor
even c++ particularly. However a quick glance suggests that line 498
must be going wrong. hasTag must, for each image, work on the merged
original tags of that image and any changes (additions or deletions)
that have been made. It seems that it is only taking notice of the
changes made and not the original tags.

I do wonder if the bug is somewhat deeper. In the right sidebar there
does not seem to be any indication for tags that are in some of the
images selected but not others. I would have expected along with the
selected and deselected tag states there would be a third in-between
state that indicated that only some of the selected images had this tag
applied. So for this third state, when the tags were written out, such a
tag would be unchanged in each image. However this may just be a
separate UI issue and fixing hasTag be what is needed to fix the bug.

I have not actually checked whether tags that are in common with all
images but are not changed remain intact or not in the metadata.

Andrew