[Digikam-users] Comments vs. Captions Confusion

Paul Verizzo paulv at paulv.net
Sat Jan 29 14:19:27 GMT 2011

It's time for me to get serious to caption/comment/keyword my
collection, thus only partially done.  I've done some in bits and pieces
with other image programs, usually Irfanview.   I have read the digiKam
overview on DAM, damn!  It's the best explanations for the real world
out there!  I've searched the digiKam online handbook for references to
captions and to comments, and I see both.

And yet, all I can see using the Captions/Tags button is Captions.
Nowhere do I see a Comments option despite use of this term in the handbook.

If I insert a Comment using Irfanview, it comes up in digiKam as a
Caption.  In Picasa, a Comment.  If I insert a Caption using digiKam, it
shows up in Irfanview and Picasa as a Comment!  My head spins!

It's my understanding that Comments is peculiar to JPEG and is inserted
to the file, regardless of IPTC, and that Captions is a peculiarity to
the latter.  No?  Presumably, then, a non-JPEG can't have Comments?

It seems stock photo agencies expect Comments for the prose explanation
of the photo.  I'm good with that, yet, unless I just can't find it, no
Comments ability in digiKam!

Or, is all this just a misuse of words, people substituting Captions and
Comments for each other too freely?

And thank you SO much for the work on this project!  Especially the
Windows compilations!  I look forward to 1.8, especially for that
thumbnail rebuilding per folder ability.  I wouldn't call 1.8 just a bug
fix, it is more.

Paul