[Digikam-users] Re: Printing captions?

gerlos gerlosgm at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 15:27:15 GMT 2011

Il giorno 25/dic/2010, alle ore 22.17, John B. Egger ha scritto:

> Is there a quick way to export captions to a spreadsheet or
> word-processing table? I may want to print photos to include in a
> physical album and, to include with them, it would be nice to be able to
> print Digikam's captions on something like Avery labels. (Before using
> Digikam, I used Avery labels with captions created in a word processing
> program.)

Since digikam can save metadata directly inside the images, you can use a script that use tools like exiftool to print those metadata, so you can do nice things with them.

For example, this simple script:
#!/bin/bash
for file in `ls *.JPG`
do
	echo $file';'`exiftool -s -s -s -Comment $file`
done

Prints a line like this for each *.JPG image found in the current directory:
IMG_0838.JPG;Some comments describing my image.

You can redirect the output from the script to a CSV file and then open it in OpenOffice Calc, telling it that the separator is ";".
In OpenOffice you can set your CSV file as a data source and use the mail merge (google for it, there's a lot of resources out there) function to print pretty labels.

If you need to traverse a tree of directories, you'll need to use find instead of for.

Hope this helps.

regards
gerlos

--
"Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more
of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something