[Digikam-users] lens-recognition

Michael Eschweiler michael.eschweiler at web.de
Sun Jan 16 15:09:29 GMT 2011

Hi,
I've been using digikam since three years ago and with every version it's
improving - fantastic! As I am not a professional I don't use digikam every
day. Therefore it's a little bit difficult to date the following problem: More
or less since about two months ago digikam doesn't (import and) expose the
correct lens data.
With my EOS 40D I am using a Tokina zoom (f4, 12-24mm), a Tamron zoom (f2.8,
17 - 50mm), and a Tamron zoom (f4-5.6, 28 - 300 mm).
With my older pictures I (still) find the lens type correctly displayed in the
exif data. This means the Tokina is identified as "12-24mm", the smaller
Tamron zoom as "17-50mm" and the telezoom as "28-300mm".
With the fotos I imported within the last two month I found that only the
telezoom is identified correctly, now more completely as "Tamron AF 28-300mm"
(not "28-300mm" as before). On the other hand the Tokina lens is intentified
as "Canon EF 20-35mm" and the 17-50mm-zoom gets a number: 161.
I suppose that it is a software-problem because when I open the same picture
with irfanview (Windows XP) the correct lens data are displayed. What can I do
in order to get the lenses correctly identified within digikam.
Thanks in advance,
Michael
P.S.: Im using digikam 1.7.0 on openSuSE 11.3 - the x86_64 - Version with KDE
4.5