[Digikam-users] Re: using extracted jpeg as "sidecar" for raw files

Elle Stone l.elle.stone at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 02:18:49 GMT 2011

Milan, thank you, you've provided food for thought. I've used software
that generates xmp files, but they are very faceless little files and
I end up deleting them. I like what you said about the jpeg
side-car/negative being a record of the actual image.

Oz, in theory dng sounds great. But in practice, I'm not confident
that I can get my original Canon raw file out of the dng in one piece.

Also, I tried the digikam dng conversion on a sample raw file and the
resulting "dng-raw" colors came out drastically altered. I use "uniwb"
(http://www.guillermoluijk.com/tutorial/uniwb/index_en.htm;
http://www.malch.com/nikon/UniWB.html) custom color setting in my
camera, so all my raw file thumbnails look (and should look) green.
The digikam dng conversion turned everything magenta and my efforts to
rebalance the dng to realistic colors didn't work so well, whereas
balancing from green to normal colors with dcraw or ufraw is
straightforward.

Also, I use a custom camera profile generated with argyllcms, and dng
is oriented toward using adobe-supplied camera matrices/profiles.

Also, I've read the dng specs (tried to) and I just don't see how dng
makes a closed-source raw file any more open source than dcraw already
does.

On the other hand, if/when I ever purchase a new camera,
in-camera-produced dngs would be a selling point, because then the dng
would be the whole thing, not a funny wrapper around a proprietary raw
file.

Elle