[Digikam-users] Re: Rename Files difficulties

Elle Stone l.elle.stone at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 17:05:01 GMT 2011

Hi Dan,

I've been experimenting with renaming. I rewrote your structure/example:

(1)[Digital or Arg, 1 digit]
(2)[camera,4 digits]_
(3)[num in 6 digits]_
(4)[corrections of files, in 4  - 5 digits].
(5)[ext, respect each ext in case of multiple]

ND80_000001.jpg
ND80_000002.jpg
ND80_000002_YQ.jpg
ND80_000002.nef
ND80_000003.jpg

I don't see an example of (1).
The ND80_ is (2)
The sequential numbers eg 000001_  is (3).
"YQ" is an example of (4).
and of course the extension eg jpg is (5).

In theory, in the rename dialog:

ND80_######[ef]

would give you all of your exampes except ND80_000002_YQ.jpg.
But you would have to preselect only images that come from the ND80 camera.

[cam]_######[ef] would give camera information, but a much longer file
name (more than your desired four places/digits for the camera) - and
what if you have more than one camera of the same make and model?

As for the YQ, I don't see any way to automatically add the YQ except
the same way as adding your example camera id, that is, after doing
the initial renaming, preselect and append:

[file]_YQ

You can also prepend:

whatever_[file]

I tried appending _YQ again to three files (in my test album, of
course! not having a clue what you mean by "YQ"), two of which already
had _YQ, using the option {removedoubles}, but I still got two "YQ"s
in the two file names that already had a YQ. So unless you are
careful, renaming could produce some weird file names.

[file]{replace:"_YQ",""}{trim} got rid of some white spaces in the
file names that I had inadvertently introduced, and also got rid of
ALL of the _YQ.

To see the options, click on the "i" in the blue circle in the rename
dialog. The options look pretty powerful.

Like Dan, I am planning on renaming a whole lot of files. Could more
experienced digikam users perhaps offer guidance in the way of
"gotchas" to be aware of when renaming files?

Elle Stone