[Digikam-users] Re: How-to move photos to CD/DVD or other external repositories

Juhani juhani.talvela at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 14:50:24 GMT 2011

Marie-Noëlle Augendre <mnaugendre at ...> writes:

> Configure -> Collections -> Remote support ( or something like that, as I'm
translating from the french version).Marie-Noëlle
> 2011/1/2 Juhani Talvela
<juhani.talvela at gmail.com>I'd very much like to
burn some of my photos to DVD and store them
> separately. This would help me to:
> a) save disk space on my PC
> b) have an organized library of my photo files in a physical form...  (I
> would like to take along a DVD every now and then when I go to friends)
> But how do I do this? There is an export command in DigiKam that I can
> use to export pictures to some SmugMug, remote computer, Gallery, iPod,
> PicasaWeb, etc... But it doesn't include CD/DVD option.
> I can of course just burn some pictures on a DVD and just leave them on
> my PC. But this is not good, since it eats up my disk space. Is there a
> way for DigiKam to support storing original picutres on a CD/DVD, and
> just leave a small thumbnail on the database?
> All help and ideas on how to do this are appreciated.
> Cheers

Thank you... but this is still confusing.

I can create a collection on removable media... such as USB. I have a CD
mounted, so I can even create a collection for that CD. But it doesn't recognize
the CD as removable media, but insists that its stored on the locally.

And if I then remove the CD (or the USB stick) and restart the DigiKam, it is
totally unaware that I have such photo sources...

I would need to KNOW what photos I have on my removable media, even if the media
is not present. Is this possible with DigiKam...???

Cheers
Juhani